Dogs can bark for many reasons. Some don’t like hearing loud or unusual sounds outside, but other dogs may freak out at the slightest change in their habits. You might find that your dog barks when you get an unexpected delivery or when you need to leave early from work.
A possible tool that can help you eliminate that barking and get your dog under control is the Barx Buddy. This is a simple tool that you can use on young pups as well as older dogs. In our Barx Buddy review, we’ll look at what this simple tool does and how it can benefit you.
Barx Buddy is a good solution to dog barking problems.
- Works immediately to stop bad behaviors
- Suitable for all breeds and sizes of dogs
- Uses ultrasonic sounds and/or LED light
- 30-day refund with an extended warranty available
- Functions in the same way that cheap dog whistles do
- Some dogs will stop responding to the device
- You do not get refunded for your shipping and handling if you send it back
- The buttons on the controller can stick
iReviews Shopping Assistant
Find the best prices for this and many other products with our chrome extension
What is the Barx Buddy?
Chances are good that you tried using a bark collar in the past but were not satisfied. Many of those collars send a shock that lets the dog know it needs to stop the action. While they can work on dogs that keep jumping on visitors and those who love barking in the middle of the night, they can also cause some pain, especially if you set the collar to a higher level.
Barx Buddy is unique in that it uses ultrasonic sounds at a specific frequency that only dogs can hear. When you turn it on and aim it in the direction of your dog, you may think it doesn’t work because you can’t hear it. Even the cats in your home won’t respond when you use the device. It also features a built-in flashlight that you can use to stop your dog from barking.
As the owner of a 12 week old Golden Retriever puppy, JuneBug, I know that puppies tend to get a little rebellious around this age. June is constantly testing the limits of what she can get away with, and I am trying to make sure she does not develop bad habits.
One thing I am really struggling with is the fact that my boyfriend has a very deep voice, so naturally June listens to him much more. I have a higher pitched voice and June seems to think I am less of her owner, and more of her friend.
Some of the biggest struggles I am having right now are when we go on walks, she will bite on my clothes and try and play and I cannot calm her down and get her to continue the walk. Furthermore, when I am driving is the only time she ever barks for some reason.
I was excited to try Barx Buddy to try and get her to stop barking and biting. As a new dog owner, I was really sold by the fact that this product does not shock the dog at all, it simply releases a high pitched noise and has a light feature. If the product was not 100% harmfree, I would never have tried to use it on my puppy.
When the product arrived, it was in a very small box and came with batteries included. I took it out and it seemed incredibly simple. There is only a power button, and a light feature with three settings.
Barx Buddy Product View
I also enjoyed that the Barx Buddy comes with a key loop so that I can hang it somewhere and not forget where I placed it. The plastic is pretty high quality and the device is very easy to understand without even reading through the short directions sheet.
When I first tried the Barx Buddy on June, she was jumping and biting. I faced the barx Buddy towards her and held the power button down. I was not able to hear any noise, but the product seemed to work, as she stopped what she was doing and sat down almost immediately.
Dog Trial Worked
I was very impressed with the initial results of this product. It is important to note that this product does not simply solve issues such as biting, barking, or jumping. The product is simply a training device where the dog hears the que and knows you are expecting them to stop. As I continued to use the product when June misbehaved, she became more accustomed to the noise and did not stop her behavior for as long.
Dog Trial Worked Less
Eventually, June tested her limits with the product and even tried biting the Barx Buddy. This is not exactly the desired result, but it did make me feel better knowing that she was comfortable enough to do that, meaning the noise did not harm her.
Dog Trial Fail
Ultimately, June became accustomed to this product and viewed it more as a toy. This product will not simply fix any behavioral issues your dog is having, but it can be a helpful training device. I personally feel as though I will continue bringing this product on walks to get her attention when she is jumping and biting and misbehaving. I do not think it will stop the issue, but I believe it is a good way to get your dogs attention long enough to train them to stop.
Why Do Dogs Bark?
Dog owners often want to know why their pets bark, especially if they have never had a dog before or only owned calm and quiet pets. These animals use barking as a way to communicate with other pets as well as their humans. A dog may bark simply because the dog is happy to see you and thought you would never come home. Some of the other reasons why dogs bark include:
If you bring home a new dog without warning, your dog may bark because it sees that new pet as a threat to its territory, which will make the dog angry. Animals that spend long hours at home alone will bark when humans come home because they’re excited to see you. If your neighbors complain about your dog barking all day, it’s likely because the pet is bored and wants attention.
The Barx Buddy can help with all of this.
How Can You Use the Barx Buddy?
Using the Barx Buddy is much easier than using many of the shock collars and alternatives on the market. You’ll want to stand close to the dog when it begins barking, making sure that it can see both you and the Barx Buddy. Once you have the dog’s attention and it begins barking, push down on the “ON” button on the device. This will send an ultrasonic sound wave to your dog that only it can hear, which should be enough to stop it from barking.
If your dog continues barking, you can do a few things, including:
- Move closer to the dog before pressing the button
- Press the LED button to use both light and sound to control its barking
- Force the dog to sit down before you press any buttons
- Only release the button(s) when the animal calms down and stops barking
As soon as the dog listens to you and stops that negative behavior, you should reward it in some way. It’s as easy as telling the pet that it’s a good boy or girl and giving a good scratching or head rub.
What Should You Do if the Barx Buddy Doesn’t Work?
A few customers found that Barx Buddy didn’t work with their dogs and demanded a refund. Before you try to send the device back, make sure that you use it correctly.
If your dog continues barking, you can try different things.
- Make sure you use the right end: The Barx Buddy has open spaces on the end that allow the sound and/or light to shine through. If this end does not face your dog, it will not respond to the device.
- Change your position: Simply adjusting the way you hold and use the Barx Buddy can get the response that you want. You may need to point it higher in the air or lower to the ground for it to work on your dog.
- Get closer: Standing even a few feet away can reduce the noise that your dog hears. If the device doesn’t work, you may need to move a little closer to your dog.
- Use light and sound: Some dogs only respond when you use both the ultrasonic sound feature with the light. This combination distracts the dog and shows it that you do not approve of the barking.
- Follow up with positive reinforcement: Unless you follow up the negative action with some type of positive reinforcement, your dog may run when it sees you. You need to show it that you’ll only use the Barx Buddy when it barks.
Where Can You Use the Barx Buddy?
One of the best features of the Barx Buddy is that you can use it anywhere. The Barx Buddy has a compact design and can fit in a suitcase. This makes it a handy device to use when going to a new groomer or meeting your veterinarian as well as any trips that you take to the dog park or beach.
The Barx Buddy uses sound and/or light to keep dogs from barking. If you get regular deliveries and want your dog to stop barking at the truck and driver, you can hit the button as soon as the dog releases the softest of growls.
Is Barx Buddy Suitable for More Than Barking?
Unlike shock collars that can make a dog restless and anxious, the Barx Buddy has no long-term effects on the health of your pet. After a few uses, you may find that your dog immediately recognizes the device when you grab it and stops barking before you can press any of the buttons.
Barx Buddy can help condition your dog and make it stop doing other things that you dislike as well, including:
- Growling at other pets when it’s feeding time
- Digging up plants and flowers in your yard
- Jumping on people who enter your home
- Dry humping other pets
- Chewing on clothing and other items
- Scratching on furniture
Possible Dangers of Not Spaying or Neutering Dogs
- Shortens the dog’s lifespan
- Leaves males prone to aggressive behaviors and fighting
- Increases their risks of contracting certain diseases
- Causes them to feel anxious and sexually frustrated
- Can make them act out around humans
Who’s This For?
An anxious dog may bark every time someone stands near your house or walks down the sidewalk. Even showering the pup with affection and spending a lot of time together won’t help some dogs who are just more prone to barking. This can relate to breed as well as any experiences the dog had during its early years.
Using a shock collar can block the bond that you want to make with your dog. The Barx Buddy allows you to form a lasting bond with a new dog and prevent the bad behaviors that you thought you couldn’t control. Anyone who needs help with an unruly dog can benefit from the Barx Buddy.
Signs Your Dog Came from a Puppy Mill
- The sellers refuse to let you view the puppies or their parents
- You notice the same people selling puppies multiple times a year
- The sellers have multiple types of dogs that they sell
- They cannot provide you with medical records
- You witness signs of medical issues with the puppies
- The breeders try to force you to buy a puppy on the spot without any research
What are the Top Features of the Barx Buddy?
The top features of the Barx Buddy include:
- Convenient power button: Located near the top of the gadget, the power button is easy to find and comes on quickly to force your dog to stop.
- LED light: This light has a convenient location near the power button that you can use when walking your dog or relaxing at home. It does a great job of forcing dogs to stop chasing other animals.
- Ultrasonic sound: Thanks to the frequency that the Barx Buddy produces, you don’t need to worry about disrupting your neighbors or irritating those around you while outside. As only dogs can hear the noise, your cats and other pets are safe too.
- Rechargeable battery: Similar to shock collars, the Barx Buddy comes with a rechargeable battery inside the collar. It uses lights to show you when the battery is low to make sure that it always works.
- One size fits all collars: You don’t need to worry about measuring your dog’s neck or looking at a size chart to find the right size because this collar fits all dogs. You can adjust it as needed to fit your dog, which ensures that it fits puppies as they grow.
Barx Buddy and Rodents
An unexpected benefit of Barx Buddy is that it might repel rodents. The ultrasonic frequency that it uses is high enough that mice and other small rodents can hear it. When you use it daily, it can eventually cause those rodents to seek out a different home.
What are Some Signs That Your Dog Could Benefit from Barx Buddy?
Aggressive behaviors are just one sign that you need help with your dog. You can use the Barx Buddy when your dog acts out against humans and other pets, including growling while eating or playing a little too rough in the park.
Other signs that your dog could benefit from this device include:
- You need to keep pulling or tugging on the leash when your dog walks
- The dog freaks out anytime someone gets too close to your home, even if it’s someone they know
- Others told you that the dog nipped at them or tried to bite them
- You frequently come home to find that the dog chewed on your shoes or furniture
- Most of the furniture in your home shows signs of scratches and other damage
- Your dog keeps jumping on people as soon as they walk through your front door
Why Doesn’t Shouting Stop Your Dog?
When you come home to a dog that immediately starts barking, shouting at it to stop might be your first instinct. Shouting at your dog lets it know that you’re unhappy but can eventually make the dog that you don’t like it or that you’re not happy to come home. This can result in your dog hiding when you walk through the door or shying away when you try to pet it.
Can You Use Barx Buddy with Any Breed/Dog?
All dogs are not the same. The breed(s) of their parents will tell you quite a bit about how the dog will act and behave. One of the top things that customers like is that it works with all breeds.
Many people find it helpful to use the Barx Buddy with breeds that are more energetic, such as Beagles. Even after a long walk, your puppy may want to come home and chase you around the house or bring you toys to throw. The Barx Buddy lets you tell the dog when it’s time to settle down.
Should You Buy It?
Before we look at the cons and reasons not to buy the Barx Buddy, let’s take a look at some of the features that make it worth the cost.
- Works With All Breeds: No matter what type of dog you have or its overall size, the Barx Buddy will help you control it.
- Suitable for All Behaviors: The Barx Buddy helps you do more than just control your dog’s barking. You can also use it to eliminate bad behaviors ranging from jumping and growling to scratching and chewing.
- Long Range: This device has a long-range that can work 40 to 60 feet away from your dog, which is equivalent to 12 to 18 meters. You don’t need to stand right beside your dog to get the full benefits of the device.
- Easy to Use: It’s so easy to use that you’ll have no problems letting your kids discipline your dog. They only need to press one or two buttons to use sound and/or light to stop a dog in its tracks.
- Customizable for Your Dog: Many dog owners love that they can customize the Barx Buddy to work for their dogs. While some pets respond to the ultrasonic sound alone, others respond to the light or the combination of light and sound.
What are the Top Cons of the Barx Buddy?
- Some found that the buttons on the controller stuck or jammed, which made the device inoperable
- While the warranty lasts for 30 days and you can opt for an extended warranty, it doesn’t cover your shipping and handling charges
- Not all dogs respond as well to it as others do
- You can get some of the same benefits from a cheap dog whistle
- Some shoppers found that the site wouldn’t accept their payment details
- The customer support department takes a long time to respond to emails
Where to Buy
Don’t spend a lot of time scouring the web to get the best price on the Barx Buddy. We included a link right here that helps you get this barking device for a low price. Though the original retail price is around $80, you can buy one today for only $39.95 plus $6.95 for shipping and handling, which is a 50% savings. For only $4.29, you can add the extended warranty to your Barx Buddy. This covers the product for life and allows you to get a full replacement system if you have any problems with yours.
- Buy two Barx Buddy devices for $69.95 plus $7.95 for shipping and handling
- Get three Barx Buddy devices for only $94.95 plus $8.95 for shipping and handling
- Order four of these devices for a total of $114.95 plus an extra $9.95 for shipping and handling
These packages include savings of more than 60% off the original retail price and give you the option of buying an extended warranty. You also get a 30-day guarantee that covers a replacement device or a full refund within the next 30 days, minus your original shipping and handling costs.
What Do You Need to Buy the Barx Buddy Online?
- Full name
- Email address
- Shipping/home address
- Visa, Discover, MasterCard, Discover Card or PayPal account
Most of the competitors to the Barx Buddy use vibrations and/or shocks to abruptly stop your dog from barking. As you look at some of these competitors, you may find that you prefer the safe alternative that Barx Buddy offers.
Bousnic Dog Training Collar Set
Whether you bring home two new puppies or have older dogs that need some training, this Bousnic Dog Training Collar Set might be a good option for you. The remote works up to 1,000 feet away and can connect to one or both collars at the same time. As the collars are waterproof, you don’t need to worry about taking your dog to the beach or playing with it in the rain.
PATPET Dog Shock Collar
With three training modes, this PATPET Dog Shock Collar is perfect for puppies and older dogs. The receiver that fits like a collar around your dog’s neck has a rechargeable battery that lasts for up to 12 days after only two hours of charging. In addition to sixteen levels of shock, it has eight levels of vibration and a tone mode that produces a loud sound to stop dogs from barking without harming them.
Dog No Bark Collar with Smart Detection
One of the best anti-barking devices for dog parents who worry about affecting other pets is this Dog No Bark Collar with Smart Detection. The smart detection ensures that the controller will only connect to the receiver that your dog wears. A built-in USB port makes charging the battery simple, and the collar is waterproof for pets who love the outdoors. You can adjust the collar to fit any size dog and use it on a pup that is at least three months old.
MODUS Ultrasonic Dog Bark Deterrent
Similar to Barx Buddy, the MODUS Ultrasonic Dog Bark Deterrent releases ultrasonic sounds to make your dog come to a complete stop. It comes in three colors and is suitable for a training aid or as a deterrent. With a range of more than 16 feet, it doesn’t require that you stand right beside your dog to use it. The biggest downside to this deterrent is that it uses only sound. As you do not have the option of using light at the same time, you may find that your dog doesn’t respond as quickly as you’d like.
What Else Does Barx Buddy Make?
Barx Buddy Clippers
Not cutting your dog’s nails can cause the animal significant pain. Not only can the nails grow into the beds and paws, but they can make it difficult for the pet to walk. Barx Buddy now makes Clippers that are easy to use and similar to the ones that groomers love. These clippers feature thick blades made from stainless steel. They are sharp enough to cut through the entire nail in one motion. A built-in safety stop prevents common clipping accidents too.
Barx Buddy Self-Cleaning Brush
This simple brush design features an ergonomic handle that helps you brush the dog’s coat without any discomfort. You can brush your dog while watching Netflix or chatting with a friend. Once the brush is full, you can easily press the button on the top that pushes out the hair to let you clean it in seconds. The brush also has a built-in spot on the handle that allows you to rest your thumb.
Anti-barking devices help pet parents get their dogs to stop barking and listen to their commands. Many of these devices work just as well for barking as they do other negative behaviors such as jumping and chewing. Though shock collars are popular with some pet owners, others worry that those collars will hurt their pets and make the animals afraid of them. If you worry about controlling your dog and can’t afford expensive training classes, you might find the Barx Buddy helpful.
The Barx Buddy uses an ultrasonic frequency that only dogs can hear. It won’t scare your cat off the pet tree or make your kids run to their rooms, but it will make your dog come to a sudden stop, sometimes in the middle of a bark. You can use it to keep your dog from growling and whining in the middle of the night as well. With the addition of an LED light, it lets you use different methods to see what works for your dog. One of the ultimate anti-barking tools on the market is the Barx Buddy.
Resources and Further Reading
- Common Reasons for Dog Barking – Jenna Stregowski, The Spruce Pets
- 11 Signs a Puppy is from a Puppy Mill – Mychelle Blake, Love to Know
- What Happens if You Don’t Spay and Neuter – West Ballantyne Animal Hospital
- Barx Buddy Reviews – See Hear Now
- Barx Buddy Review: Does It Really Work? Highya
- Barx Buddy Reviews – Site Jabber
- Barx Buddy Review: Is It a Scam or Legit? – USA Today
- Veterinarians Share 10 Things You Should Never Do to Your Dog – Sophie Mitrokostas, Insider
- Barx Buddy Review : Harmful or Helpful to Pets? – Scott Staffin, Top 10 Gadgets