When it comes to “setting the mood” with interior lighting, Danish company Shade ApS may be leading the pack with its recent unveiling of the Orb – a next generation smart lamp that creates different moods with its revolutionary lighting platform. Using a wide variety of light settings that are fully customizable, the Orb is “like hiring an interior light designer by just buying a single lamp.”
“The Orb focuses on the directional control of quality light.”
Designed using a unique Danish design approach, the Orb uses three different mood altering light zones that strategically set the ambiance whether you’re watching a movie with the family or working from a home office. Already equipped with three pre-configured mood settings and the option to customize with dashes of color or controlling the white balance, the Orb lamp can seamlessly transform the luminance in your home.
“The usage of different light zones makes the Orb a unique solution in accentuating environments with professional light settings.”
Outside of customizing the lighting and saving them to your preferences, here are some of the pre-defined settings that come with the Orb:
- Reading Light: Point white light downwards while you’re reading combined with an upwards-soft glow, creating a cozy space where you can enjoy some alone time.
- Hygge: The Danish expression “Hygge” translates roughly into “cozy” and this lighting setting is all about slowing down with a cup of tea or glass of wine.
- Energize: Simply a boost of energy with illumination. By increasing the intensity of light and adding colder whites, you’re telling your body to wake up. This is a great setting for those late-night work sessions.
- Movie Night: Adding just a little blast of indirect light. Cuddle up on the couch and still see the contours of the room.
- Pleasant Evening: The all-around lighting experience and useful for most lighting experiences.
- Dinner Light: A warmer light making your meal look even more appetizing all while complementing the presentation. This is a dash of white pointing at the ceiling similar to the illumination in a restaurant.
“The Nordic design and human-centric technology, creates a light experience unlike anything seen before.”
With a typical lifetime of 50,000 hours (30 years of normal use) and a light quality up to 1900 lumen (140w incandescent bulb), the Orb smart lamp is an eco-friendly light solution that lasts three decades. The Copenhagen-based startup has a simple mission: “enhance your home and influence the atmosphere through the use of light.” It does this by offering a hands-off lighting experience that analyzes your daily use and “makes suggestions for pre-defined schedules.”
“Up to 96% energy savings when using all of the Orbs smart features, compared to regular incandescent bulbs.”
With a full arsenal of intelligent features that include Sunrise, Nightfall, Smart Scheduling, Eco-Mode and Vacation, you can control The Orb for each activity in your life. The Sunrise mode lets you start the day with a “rise and shine” slow dim up. The Nightfall mode does the opposite of Sunrise and slowly dims the light in preparation for bed – introducing more warm light over the course of the evening. Smart Scheduling gives you suggestions based on your daily use and tells you how to save money. Eco-Mode makes the user actively choose to keep lights on during the day. Finally, the Vacation setting simulates your exact lighting use as if you were home – making it look like you never left – protecting your house from intruders.
The Orb is ready for pre-order on Indiegogo with the first round of deliveries scheduled for December of 2017.
- Bluetooth LE Technology
- Companion App
- Customizable Lighting Modes
- Pre-Defined Mood Settings
- Typical Lifetime: 50,000 hours (30 years/normal use)
- Light Quality: up to 1900 Lumen
- Availability (December 2017)